Views : 23520
2008.07.15 (17:28:24)
Sermon Date:  Jul 20, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Matthew 26:26-29 
Passage:  26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

27Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." 
Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper in the following way:

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. (Matt. 26:26-29)

This is my body. Jesus was telling His disciples that the bread represented His body. The broken bread was a reminder that His body would be broken and that He would be killed on the cross.

Broken heart

Christ being physically beaten was extremely painful but I believe His emotional pain was far greater.

Not only was His body broken but His heart was broken when He was separated from His Father.

When He was on the cross, He took our sins upon Him and His Father looked away. On the cross, Christ no longer sensed His Father's presence and love. He experienced hell. He experienced hopelessness. That is why He said, “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” He didn't ask , “My Father, why have you forsaken me?” He said, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me”?

He wanted His disciples to always remember what He did for them. broken bread shows the manner in which my body will be broken; or this will serve to call my dying sufferings to your remembrance.

1. Remember God hates sin.

God's hatred toward our sins is expressed on the cross.

Jesus was crucified with our sins on Him.

The Father poured out His anger toward sin on His Son. He allowed evil people to break His Son’s body.

The reason Christ had to die is because God is a God of justice and therefore must punish sin. He can’t just let it go. He had to punish sin. If He allowed us to be punished, we would be in hell for eternity. Jesus experienced the Father’s hatred of sin by becoming sin for you and me.

God hates sin because it dishonors Him.

When we sin, we are telling God that someone else or something else is more valuable to us than God.

Imagine if your spouse put a poster of someone else (movie star or former girlfriend or boyfriend) on the wall of your bedroom. How would you feel? What would you do? I am sure you would be hurt and angry and rightfully so.

God also hates sin because sin degrades and destroys. When a baby is dying of cancer, his baby’s parents are very angry. They are experiencing hatred in their hearts. They hate the cancer that is slowing killing their child. God hates sin because it dishonors Him and because it hurts people made in His image. He hates sin because sin is what was responsible for Christ’s death.

God hates sin because it separates us from Him.

We are like Hitler. We deserve to be in hell. We deserve to be punished for our sins, for rebelling against God, for choosing to live the way we want rather than according to God’s ways, for knowing the right thing to do but choosing to sin.

You are saved from eternal suffering in hell. Be thankful for that. Be humbled knowing you are so bad Christ experienced hell for you.

1. The Lord’s Supper is a reminder of God’s love.

Be humbled by God’s love.

Suppose you have a child that you love. The only way to save the people of North Korea from dying is you sending your only child there for 33 years. You would be separated from him/her. You would be able to talk over the phone, but wouldn’t be able to see each other. Would you be willing to send your child if you knew the people would laugh at him, spit at him and eventually murder him? I don’t think I would be willing to be separated from Joshua for 33 years and know that He would be killed by people who hated me and Him.

Christ died for your sins because of His love for you. (symbolized by broken bread and poured wine)

The bread being broken symbolizes Christ’s body being broken. He was whipped. He was beaten. He was spit upon. He was mocked and ridiculed. The wine being poured symbolized Christ’s blood being poured out. He bled. He suffered. He had nails driven through His wrists. A nail was driven through His ankles. He had difficulty breathing. He suffocated to death. He felt the pain of loneliness. He felt His Father’s anger against sins.

Christ chose to take your punishment that you deserved. He had a choice. He wasn’t forced into doing it. He wanted to do it.

Christ was not forced to die for your sins. He chose to do so willingly. He looked forward to the time when He would be reunited with the Father and with you in heaven (Hebrews 12:2)

When someone really loves another person, he/she is willing to die for that person. I have heard mothers say, that they would gladly die for their children because of their love for them.

The Father poured out all of His anger against your sin on Christ. Christ experienced hell for you on the cross. He experienced the full wrath of the Father.

He loved you before you were His child. He gave up His Son when you were His enemy. Surely He loves you since you are His child.

Christ actually died for you. There is nothing you can do to make God love you any more than He does. There is nothing you can do to make God love you any less than He does. His love is unchanging and constant Remember this fact. Remember this truth!!!!! Let it warm your heart. Let it cause us to repent for our lack of love for Him.

3. Remember Christ’s forgiveness is not only for your sins.

Jesus’ death not only covers your sins, it also covers the sins of other Christians who have hurt you. Christ died for all the sins of all believers who hurt you.

You may feel that people owe you something. People may owe you an apology. People may owe you money. People may owe you respect. People may owe you love. People may owe you attention. Christ has paid the price on the cross. His death covers the debt of all the sins of all believers who have ever lived and who will be born in the future as well.

If you have difficulty forgiving someone, I encourage you to think about why.

1. Trust God to repay. Romans 12:19

The Bible says God will repay. We need to trust Him to repay people who have hurt us rather than taking matters into our own hands (Romans 12:19) It is God’s right to repay.

1. Think about how God has forgiven you millions of times.

If you are hurt because someone has hurt your feelings, remember that countless times that you have hurt God. Every time we sin, God is hurt. His heart is saddened far more than our hearts are hurt because His heart is far more sensitive than ours.

Remember that you and I were responsible for Christ’s death.

4. The Lord’s Supper is a reminder of heaven.

You are going to heaven.

The Lord’s Supper points forward to the time when all believers will share in an awesome meal in heaven. (Rev 19:9)

All the foods that you enjoy here on earth (deep dish pizza, karbi, sushi, oreos cookies and cream ice cream, barbequed ribs, etc) will not even compare to the food in heaven. You won’t get bored because the foods will taste different, but still awesome.

Sometimes, when I eat my favorite ice cream or piece of pizza with my family or friends, I get a small glimpse of heaven. Heaven will be a time of celebration and joy and thanksgiving. No pain. No disappointment. No frustration. No sickness. No headaches. No traffic jams.

No sin. (Rev 22:4)

We will not be able to sin any more. Our nature will be just like Christ’s. We will no longer have a sinful nature anymore. No more struggling with sin. No more broken promises. No more feelings of failure.

Perfect and everlasting peace and joy is guaranteed.

All the suffering and pain you are experiencing now is temporary (2 Corinthians 4:17)

In heaven, you will experience God’s perfect love, the love that will never end, the love that will never let you down.

I remember a couple of years ago when Joshua screamed with joy. My, Shin, and my parents and his parents were in a car with him. He was so happy. He was happy because he was with his favorite people and going somewhere together. Heaven will be a place where your heart will be overflowing with joy. You'll be with God and all Christians will be your family.

Application:

1. Remember God hates sin.

2. Remember that God loves you.

He hates our sinful actions but always loves us.

3. Forgive others.

Christ's death on the cross not only covers your sins but also the sins of other Christians who hurt you.

Forgive nonbelievers for your sake.

4. Examine yourself.

Do not participate in the Lord's Supper if you have anger and unforgiveness.

Do not participate in the Lord's Supper if you are unsure you are a Christian.

Lord's supper directions

1. Spend a few minutes in prayer confessing sins and thanking God for His love and forgiveness.

2. Take a piece of bread and a little container of grape juice as they are passed

3. We'll eat the bread together and then drink the grape juice.

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Hebrews 12:2

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Romans 12:17-21

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Revelation 19:6-9

Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. 8 Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.) 9 Then the angel said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!'" And he added, "These are the true words of God."

1 Corinthians 11:27-28

For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login