Views : 35198
2008.10.07 (10:23:00)
Sermon Date:  Sep 14, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Ephesians 6:10-22 
Passage:  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

19 Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. 21 Tychicus, the dear brother and faithful servant in the Lord, will tell you everything, so that you also may know how I am and what I am doing. 22 I am sending him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage you. 

Supplication

Supplication (also known as petitioning) is the most common form of prayer, wherein a person asks God to provide something, either for the person who is praying or for someone else.

1. We are in a war. - Eph 6:10-12

Most people, including many Christians are not aware that they live in a war. This war is invisible. In Ephesians 6:10-12, God tells us that our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the spiritual forces of wickedness, which refers to Satan and his demons.

Satan and his demons are trying to kill you and ruin your life.

Satan was once a perfect angel created by God but He wanted to be God and rebelled against Him with many other angels. Isaiah 14:12-15

God kicked Satan and the angels who rebelled against Him out of heaven. They hate people because we are created in the image of God and want all people to suffer, die, and go to hell.

Satan's strategy is to tempt people to rebel against God by living without God (live independently).

We are in a war in which the enemy is trying to steal life and God is trying to grant life.

Satan

Adam

Created as a perfect being

Had direct access to God

Had direct access to God

Had free will

Had free will

Sinned and was kicked out of God's presence

Sinned and was kicked out God's presence

Satan’s purposes:

1. Cause people to sin and focused on this world so that they don't believe in Jesus

2. Make Christians ineffective

a. cause them to feel guilty and unloved

b. distract them so that they live for this world rather than living for God

c. Prevent them from telling others about Jesus

God's purposes:

1. Wants everyone to be saved and go to heaven.

2. Wants people to have joy

3. Wants Christians to work together to help each other grow in faith.

4. Wants Christians to work together to help nonChristians believe in Jesus Christ

The enemy is so effective is because his forces are so unified and always at work.

We have such a powerful enemy that is much much more powerful than us. He is much much smarter than us and has been deceiving people into sinning for thousands of years. Since our enemy is powerful and smart, we need God's help. That is why we need to pray for ourselves and for other believers.

1. Christians are soldiers called to fight together.

No matter how brave, strong and talented a soldier is, no soldier can win defeat an army by himself. We need to fight together.

Fighting together = Working together to help people meet Jesus and become mature Christians.

We need God's power and His power comes as we pray.

Our prayers lay the track down on which God's power can come. Like a mighty locomotive, his power is irresistible, but it cannot reach us without rails.

Application:

1. Remember that you are in a war and be alert.

Life is not an amusement park.

Life is not a shopping mall.

Life is like a battlefield where people are suffering and dying every day.

A good soldier is alert all the time. A good soldier remembers he is in a war.

1. Pray for other Christians. - Eph 6:18

A good soldier also calls for help when another soldier needs help.

3. Pray for Christian leaders. - D.L Moody – Eph 6:19,20

D. L Moody started Moody Bible Institute in 1886 to train men and women to make mature followers of Jesus Christ. God also worked through D.L Moody to start Moody Publishers to print and distribute Christian books and also Moody Radio which is listened to by more than 1 million people every week.

"Auntie Cooke" arrived in Chicago in 1868-in her words, "a perfect stranger"-but it didn't take her long to become involved in God's work, helping the YMCA on Madison Street. She attended Moody's church when he was young. Cooke described him years later as a " 'diamond in the rough'-most truly, with the one desire to do good burning through everything, his very earnestness moving people, but withal such a lack in his teachings of the divine unction and power." During a St. Charles camp meeting in 1871, she felt burdened for Moody-he needed an anointing of power from the Holy Spirit. She and her friend, Mrs. Hawxhurst, who usually sat on the front row, told Moody they were praying for him to be baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire. Moody was unsure this was a need; nevertheless, he asked the two ladies to meet with him in Farwell Hall every Friday afternoon to discuss this matter and pray. Apparently his hunger increased.

Following the Chicago fire, Moody went to New York shortly thereafter to raise funds for the rebuilding of the church and YMCA building. In New York, while walking down Wall Street, the young preacher finally received the spiritual blessing they had prayed for. Moody felt such a sense of the Holy Spirit's filling that he cried, "Hold, Lord, it is enough!" "I went to preaching again," Moody testified. "The sermons were not different; I did not present any new truths, and yet hundreds were converted. I would not now be placed back where I was before that blessed experience if you should give me all the world."

Auntie Cooke continued in vigorous service and died in Chicago in 1921.

Pray for me, Jisung since he is the worship leader.

Pray for your Small group leaders.

3. Pray for other Christians so that they live according to God's will.

4. Ask others to pray for you.

A soldier doesn't hesitate to ask for help when he is hurt and in danger of not completing his mission.

In the same way, don't hesitate to ask other Christians to pray for you.

Don't ask them to pray that you have an easy life.

Don't ask them to pray that you become rich and comfortable.

Ask them to pray that you faithfully live according to God's plan for your life.

Isaiah 14:12-15

How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! 13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.

14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." 15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.

John 10:10,11

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Satan

Adam

Had direct access to God

Had direct access to God

Had free will

Had free will

Sinned and was kicked out of God's presence

Sinned and was kicked out God's presence

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login