Views : 35908
2008.11.08 (22:10:00)
Sermon Date:  Nov 02, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Ephesians 5:15-20 
Passage:  Be very careful, then, how you live-- not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Foolish things people do:

A man went into a drug store, pulled a gun, announced a robbery, and pulled a Hefty-bag face mask over his head -- and realized that he'd forgotten to cut eye holes in the mask.

-Michael Arthur Bolton, 35, had taken a tranquillizer before raiding the home of Michelle Robinson, in Griffin Close, Burnley, which had made him sleepy. He wound up falling asleep on her couch. She called the police who arrested them.

-Raymond Cuthbert dropped by a drugstore to say that he and his accomplice would be back in 30 minutes to rob the place. On time for their appointment, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police arrested them.

-A boxer got psyched up for a boxing match by smacking himself in the face. But the bout, in New York, had to be called off when he broke his OWN nose.

-A husband and wife, dog lovers, in Plymouth, Devon, have bought a bigger bed so that their 21 pets can share it.

A man had a romance on the Internet. When he arranged to meet his girlfriend in Sydney, Australia, she turned out to be the woman he'd divorced eight years ago.

Reader’s Digest, which tells about a couple who “took early retirement from their jobs when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Florida, where they cruise on their 30 foot boat, play softball and collect shells.” That is the American dream. Make a lot of money; retire early. Enjoy life. Eat well. Drink well. Feel good. Play softball and collect shells. When they die and God asks them what they did with their lives. How are they going to answer? “Look, Lord. See my shells.” That is a wasted life.

We need wise advice in order to live wisely because all of us are foolish.

Rescuers use the phrase: “alert and oriented times 4

Alert and oriented times 4: condition when people

-Know who they are

-Know where they are

-Know the time (what day is it?)

-Know what just happened

Most people are alert and oriented times 0 since they don’t know or have forgotten:

who they are – I am a terrible sinner who has saved from neverending punishment in hell and has been given the best blessing in the world (being adopted by God)

where they are – I am here on earth which is like a sinking ship; everyone on earth is going to die unless Christ returns before they die.

the time, - this time will never come again. This day will never come again. I need to use this day to bless others, to use my gifts for God's glory.

what just happened on the cross

Jesus, the sinless Son of God, took my punishment on the cross. He experienced hell for me so that I could be forgiven and become a child of God.

Wise guys throw away. - Hebrews 12:1

Living wisely = living selectively.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Wise runners don't carry unnecessary weight when they run. They don't wear heavy clothing or jewelry because they don't anything to slow them down. They want to maximize their speed and success.

Some athletes live very carefully.

They eat avoid fried foods.

They drink lots of water.

They hire cooks to live in their homes and cook them healthy meals every day.

Some of you are very careful how you spend money because you don't want to waste money.

Suppose you want to buy a new cell phone.

Careful people will read reviews of the cell phone before buying it.

Careful people will ask other people who already have the phone they are interested in.

Careful people will also check the price of the phone from different stores. They will check websites that compare the prices of products. They will compare the prices of the same product from hundreds of stores. After they get the lowest price, they will also consider the shipping cost and the company's return policy.

Careful shoppers will buy the phone if they like its appearance, its price, its reviews, the store's reputation and return policy

Some of you dress very carefully.

If you are going out on a date or going to class in which there is a guy or girl you are interested in, you choose what to wear very carefully. Of if you have a job interview or interview to get into a school you want to study at, you dress very carefully.

Living carefully is much more important than dressing carefully, eating carefully or shopping carefully.

How you use time will determine how much joy you have, the quality of your relationships, and your ministry.

Get rid of time wasters and money wasters.

TV and the internet are great time wasters

We unplugged the large screen TV in my wife's parents' home that we are living in. We unplugged it because we were wasting a lot of time watching TV. Watching it would cause us to go to sleep later and lose sleep so I unplugged it. Joshua wasn't happy about it. He misses watching his kids shows, animal shows, and cooking shows. I miss watching my sports. Shin misses watching her news programs. However, I think I am sleeping earlier and longer. We don't want to waste time; it is God's time. We don't want to waste our lives because our lives belong to God.

Wise guys follow rather than lead.

Wise guys – follow God's leading rather than your own feelings or the crowd

What would happen if you followed a 3 year old child rather than lead him?

Where would be spending most of your time? - in the toystore

what would you be eating most of the time? - candy

what would you be thinking about most of the time? - how to please the child

how many people would you help if you followed a child?  not too many

Jesus followed the Holy Spirit's leading. - Matthew 4:1

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.

The early church followed the Holy Spirit's leading. - Acts 13:1-3

They sent Paul and Barnabas out as missionaries even though there were only 5 leaders in the church. That means they were losing 40% of their leaders. It didn't make sense but they followed Gods' leading and the result was that Paul was used to spread the gospel through his life and writing all over the world. 

Wise guys don't settle for less. - Philippians 3:7-10

Do not settle for any lesser joy.

Paul, the man of God who wrote the letter to the Christians living in Ephesus also wrote a letter to Christians living in the city of Philippi. He shared how he used to find his joy in his accomplishments (being Jewish, education, social status, being a Pharisee (teacher of God's Word), etc. However, in Philippians 3:7, he writes that everything he used to be proud of and base his life on he now considers dung compared to the privilege of knowing Jesus Christ.

Joy is found in worship.

America is full of worshipers but most of them are worshiping someone other than God. Today and tomorrow, there will be almost 1 million people in this country who pay more than $50 a ticket to watch professional football players. Last night, almost half a million people paid over $30 each to watch NBA players in person.

It doesn't bother them too much that some of these athletes have been in jail more than once. It doesn't bother them too much that some of these athletes players are addicted to alcohol and drugs. It doesn't bother them too much that some of them use their strength to beat up women or other people weaker than themselves. People are looking for strong heroes who can display their speed, strength, and skill. People are looking for people to worship when they should stop looking and start worshiping God. Whose strength can compare to God's power? Whose speed can compare to God's speed? Whose skill can compare to God's skill? He never misses; He never makes a mistake. He is undefeated. Nobody can come close to beating Him. Don't settle for the joy of worshiping a human being. Maximize your joy by worshiping God.

Joy is found in relationships, but don't settle for lesser joys.

Who do you enjoy being with more than anyone in the world? The most important relationship that we need to develop is our relationship with God. Jesus said that in order for us to be His followers, we need to love Him so much so that its like hating others. God expects and deserves our love. God wants us to be more excited and joyful when we are spending time with Him than anyone else in the world.

Keep fixing your eyes on the all-satisfying treasure of Jesus Christ who loved us and gave his life as a ransom for our everlasting joy. There is no limit to the joy we can experience in Jesus, but in order to have this joy, we must be filled with the Holy Spirit.

It is beyond your understanding and beyond your emotional ability to give thanks to God for all things; it comes with the filling of the Holy Spirit: "Be filled with the Spirit."

The only way to become wise guys is to controlled by the Holy Spirit. It is impossible for us to consistently make wise decisions without God's help. That is why He has given us the Holy Spirit to be with and to help us. I'll talk about that topic next week.

Hebrews 12:1

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Philippians 3:7-10

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-- the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death

Luke 14:26

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-- yes, even his own life-- he cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 4:1

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.

Acts 13:1-3

In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3 So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login